Re: [IP] Cost of first meter...... and when (prior to 1985)

On 4 Jan 2001, at 17:32, Jim S. wrote:

> This question is directed to those of us with 20 or more years with
> diabetes.
> I remember first thinking of finding a BG meter in 1981/2 but decided
> that I wouldn't spend that much...... (about $400)...
> About 2 years later I finally did spend a smaller amount for my first
> BG meter - A mere $250.00   Think that was in the summer of 83...
> Anyone else?

I started trying to remember when I first got a meter and can't recall
the date.  It was an Ames Glucometer, the type you plugged into
110 v.   I just dug out an old Ames meter this weekend, but not my
first one.  This one is updated and only used 4 AA cells. (wow)  For
a history of glucose meters, look to Rick Mendosa's pages: