Re: [IP] Cost of first meter...... and when (prior to 1985)

At 05:32 PM 1/4/01 -0800, you wrote:
 >This question is directed to those of us with 20 or more years with diabetes.
 >I remember first thinking of finding a BG meter in 1981/2 but decided that
 >I wouldn't spend that much...... (about $400)...
 >About 2 years later I finally did spend a smaller amount for my first BG
 >meter - A mere $250.00   Think that was in the summer of 83...
 >Anyone else?
 >Jim S.
 >email @ redacted
Jim, I got my first meter during the summer of 1985 (an Accu-check as I
remember) and it cost around $150 from Walgreens.  Prior to that (since
1957) all I had was the Clinitest(where you put drops of urine and water in
a test tube and dropped a pill in.  when the pill finished fizzing, you
checked the color of the solution against a color scale.  Please remember
that this method only trailed your actual BG by about 4 to 5 hours.  A real
pain in the A#%.