Re: [IP] Cost of first meter...... and when (prior to 1985)

>This question is directed to those of us with 20 or more years with diabetes.
>I remember first thinking of finding a BG meter in 1981/2 but decided that
>I wouldn't spend that much...... (about $400)...
>About 2 years later I finally did spend a smaller amount for my first BG
>meter - A mere $250.00   Think that was in the summer of 83...
>Anyone else?

That's about right.  My first meter was the Ames Dextrometre.  Cost about
$350. and the Ames rep came right to the house!  The test strips were a lot
cheaper back then.. ...but who could test much anyway when you needed 120v
plug, running water, a watch, blotting cloth and 10 minutes?  Still this
was the best thing to happen to that date for DM.

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
of MDI!  (To date:  40% improvement in average bg's and 90% fewer hypos)!