[IP] Re: firsts meter and cost

> This question is directed to those of us with 20 or more years with
> I remember first thinking of finding a BG meter in 1981/2 but decided that
> I wouldn't spend that much...... (about $400)...
> About 2 years later I finally did spend a smaller amount for my first BG
> meter - A mere $250.00   Think that was in the summer of 83...
> Anyone else?
> Jim S.

Sometime in the '70s my hugsband's stepniece was trying to show me her new
blood tester. It was a black box about the size of 1/2 a VCR and twice as
tall. It had to be plugged in. I tuned around and walked away. I had no
interest in such a device. Why would I want to poke my own fingers since I had
not done so for about 25 years?

The year before I began pumping I was required to test 4 x a day to prove I
could do it. I cut ChemStrip Bgs in 1/3s to save $$. We held the stick after a
minute and it was wiped off to compare to a color chart for the results. I was
given a meter, but those didn't take cut strips and I gave it away - no
interest. I guess if you start out that way, you see the value. Not doing for
decades and surviving better than the odds you were given originally (death)
you (I) didn't see the need.

A health group got my name somehow and sent me a little meter that I'm still
using (in my purse) that is good for about 2000 tests then is dead. I love it
and fear each test will be the last. I was in the original trial of the
Accu-Chek Complete for pumpers. So that, too, was given to me.  Hope this
helps your survey *somewhat.* (~_^)