[IP] carb to insulin ratios

I'm struggling. Based on Alyssa's insulin intake (about 12 - 15 units per
day) she should be using a ratio of 1-unit covers 33 to 41 grams of
carbohydrate (500 divided by 12 to 15). She initially tried 1 to 40, but had
to change that. Presently she's using 1 to 15 for breakfast, 1 to 20 for
morning snack and 1 to 25 for all other meals. Well, the 1 to 25 doesn't
seem to be covering, and I'm struggling with changing it. She's done fasting
to check basals, and they are pretty close to perfect (using 8 different
basals throughout the day). I was wondering what other children are
experiencing. How close is the "500 Rule" to ideal for them?

Mom blessed with two; Chad 7 (dx 2/96) & Alyssa 9 (dx 5/98) started MM508
pumping 7/21/00
Vernon BC Canada