Re: [IP] Drinking regular pop not deadly

Yes , I am assuming no ketones.  And, no, Ketones are not caused by high
bgs.  If one were to drink a real coke and not bolus then one would go high
and become dehydrated from purging the BG out through urination.  I don't
see ketones forming.  Am I wrong?

>>And what if there isn't enough insulin for normal metabolic activity...  (I
had a pump problem -  occlusion didn't work and was physically empty in a
non-transparent pump)  The timing was such that I wasn't aware of a problem
until the DKA vomiting started....
>>The regular Coke at a high school football game (before diagnosis) put me
in critical condition for 48 hours...

Your problem was not the coke but the lack of insulin.  High BG can help
create a bigger problem, as it will dehydrate you, but the fundamental
problem would be lack of insulin.

>>And at what point do you let go and trust your kids to do it themselves?

As soon as they can and as long as they are cognizant

>>Even with diabetes, sometimes kids will do things that will put them at
risk and there will be nothing that you can do to control it.... (like not
taking insulin...)

Again, it is not the coke but the lack of insulin.

>>Depending on the situation, having and not having regular coke may kill....

I disagree.  Having a coke will not kill you.  Not having it will, given the right circumstances.

>>And undermedication is common enough that there is a psychiatric diagnosis
of "diabetic bulemia"....

Again, lack of insulin.

>If you were out hiking along a trail and came upon a nearly unconscious
>person with a D bracelet on.  What would you do?
>>If you didn't have your kids supplies with you because you were alone, what
would you do?

I would administer glucose or glucagon and rehydrate.  Then transport to
medical help.  Assuming that I knew nothing else.   If I had ,truly, no
supplies, I would get them help in the fastest way possible.

>>Yes it's more likely that they were low......and if they were in DKA?......
what would a regular coke do....

A coke would raise the BG and rehydrate them.  It would not cause more DKA.
The caffeine would interfere with rehydration, somewhat, but if coke was
all I had, in it would go.

Curtis Lomax