Re: [IP] Re: Big Babies and Guilt (been there!)

Unfortunately, the below encounter with a doctor and the dietitian is all
too common.  I'm willing to bet these people emotionally abused all
diabetics under their "care".  If I didn't know better, I'd say you had the
type of docs and dietitians we have in NS!

In 1997 I spent a year treying to acheive a normal range HeA1C on MDI.
This meant a lot of exercise, an average of 4 severe hypos per day.
running between 3 and 4 most opf the day (to offset the am highs caused by
the DP) etc.  In the end I got the one and only perfect A1C in my life and
soon after went back to humanity and high A1C's.

In all of this; there was never one positive word spoken by my doc or endo
about this.  Just:  "Well your A1C is fainlly better... ...you must be
working harder.  but you ahve too many lows.  this just won't due".

I hate these so-called medical quacks.  I just cancelled my doc apts foro
the next months as I'm doing just fine on the pump w/o their bad advice.

>The doctor I had at the time was quite old. He had strange thoughts and ideas
>but he had delivered hundreds of babies (even my friend who was 38 now) so
>anyway I go in for a regular routine and they found high bg.  This guy turned
>on me like a madman!  I was all alone as this was the one time my hubby
>couldn't make the appointment. He started lecturing me on "big babies" "still
>birth" etc etc.  I was holding back tears of shame as he made me feel like I
>had done something wrong to bring this on. He told me I was "poisoning" this
>baby in some way...He told me I would have to see a dietician and have the 3
>hour glucose test done etc.  By this time I am so sick inside I can barely
>drive the 1/2 hour home.  I had the test done and sure enough I was GD, then
>to top all this off I am assigned o the dietician from hell.  She berates me
>and belittles me on care and being strict with diet etc. I am so scared to
>screw up at this time that I follow the diet etc EXACTLY! I think my numbers
>were a little high, but more of a medium really looking back.  I was to call
>her every couple days and read her my numbers and she would be so upset with
>me that they were not good enough.  My husband ended up calling her and
>telling her to lay off.
>Due to this I ended up getting some poor advice which was to starve myself to
>keep the bg numbers down.  For example for supper I would eat all protein and
>maybe 1/2 a starch. My numbers were perfect of course but I was starving all
>the time. My doctor would check my tummy and make "funny" comments to us about
>the "elephant-size" baby I was having etc.  At 4 weeks left to deliver he said
>the baby was at least 8lbs at that point and to be prepared for a BIG one!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
of MDI!  (To date:  40% improvement in average bg's and 90% fewer hypos)!