RE: [IP] Re: lancet change--Cindy

At 08:40 PM 1/3/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I am very nervous and very excited. Any
>words of wisdom from you experts out there?  Regards, Cindy

Hi Cindy,

What kind of words of wisdom are you looking for?  Any particular
subject?  Have you read Pumping Insulin?  If not, read it right away
(though I suspect Tom has already lead you to it).  My completely generic
words of wisdom for starting pumpers are: ask as many questions as you can
of whoever starts you on the pump, start out on the low side for both
basals and boluses,  don't be afraid to change either basal or bolus on
your own if you see the need--just do it gradually, check your blood sugar
an enormous number of times a day at the beginning, go through all the FAQs
on the Insulin Pumpers Website to learn all kinds of useful thing most pump
starters won't be able to teach you, trust yourself, and when you get it
all pretty much figured out treat yourself to something you haven't enjoyed
in a while!  Suggestions: sleep late on Saturday, have a hot fudge sundae,
go to a scary movie and order popcorn, skip lunch if you're not hungry,
have dinner in bed at 10:00pm, go on a long hike, play basketball, you get
the picture...

We're rooting for you!