[IP] Science Fair Project

Hi-I just joined about 24 hours ago on the recommendation of Michael from
Insulin Pumpers.org. I am currently working on a science fair project for
school and I would love it if you could help me with it-the following is
the email I have been sending out to other people.

Thank You! Danielle

My name is Danielle Tate-Stratton and I have been a Type One diabetic for
nearly 8 years. I was diagnosed on St. Patricks Day, 1993 when I was 6. I
am now 13.

As part of the science curriculum at my school it is required that each
student in grade nine compete a science fair project. As I just went on
the pump (Mini-med 508) and have previously been on 2, 3, and 4 shot
regimines it made sense for me to do a project comparing different
treatment options for diabetes.

Basically, I would like to compare Insulin Pump Therapy (CSII) to
Multiple Daily Injections (MDI). To do this I need Blood Glucose (BG)
numbers from as many people as possible between the ages of 0-18.

If you do not wish to participate in this study that is fine, but I would
appreciate it if you would just write 'not interested' in the subject
line and reply to me.

If you are interested in helping me out, Thank You sooo much. Here is
whatI need you to do:

1. In the subject line of this email please put either 'pump' or
'shots'.This will just help in cataloging the responses.

2. Write in 25 test results (must be consecutive) with the approximate
time the blood tests were taken. For instance, one day for me would look

6:45am; 5.2 mmol/L

12:30pm; 6.3 mmol/L

5:30pm; 8.3 mmol/L

10:15pm; 8.5 mmol/L

(don't worry if you use the USA measurements is in mg/dl, I can convert

You would just continue with that for the appropriate number of days
until you have reached 25 blood glucose readings.

3. Latest HbAIc, if available. (If you have switched regimines between
your last HbAIc and now - (MDI-CSII)etc, please don't include your HbAic
as it will skew the resuts. Also please make sure the BG samples are from
the same regimen.)

4. Finally in a separate email please include a note of permission from
your parents to participate in this study. All data collected will be
completely confidential. No participant names or other identifying
information will be used in my project.

I, 'PARENT NAME' hereby allow 'CHILD'S NAME' to be a part of this

completely confidential Science Fair project.

5. Thank You so much for replying to this and helping me to study this
very interesting topic. If you would like to become penpals you can
contact me at - email @ redacted

For anyone who may be interested, I will post the final results on a

website. Please be patient, though - the science fair is not until next

Thank You so much, Danielle Tate - Stratton