Re: [IP] RE: Big Babies

> >Question--If the fact that insulin is a growth hormone is what causes bigger
> >babies, why do Diabetics have this problem?  Don't non-Diabetics produce as
> >much insulin as I artificially take? I don't really get it.  But I want a
> >second opinion.  Ten pounds.  GEEZ.
> Calm down, Sherry.  Some people have big babies, diabetes or no
> diabetes.  Some have smaller ones.  I've had two babies, one on MDI
> and one on the pump.  They were 6# 12oz and 7# 9oz, respectively.

A lot of a baby's size depends on the age of the mother and general
health. Older women tend to have larger babies than younger ones.
That's just statistical. With diabetes in the picture, the extra
glucose in the bloodstream get sent over to the fetus which
overproduces insulin to use it up -- thus generating more baby :-).
When there is a LOT of extra glucose, the fetal insulin
overproduction can be dangerous. If the mother managed to carry the
child long enought so it could be born then the problem is that the
baby's system is use to producing a lot of extra insulin and when
he/she is born there is a LOW comming like a freight train when
mom's glucose goes away but the pancreas is still producing insulin
at what it thinks is a normal rate. This is only temporary, things do
stabalize, but you just wouldn't want to be  out of control and
pregnant at the same time. For MDI'rs and pumpers in relatively good
control, this is not a problem. I just related it so you'd have an
idea of one of the problems that can occur for the knot heads that
don't take care of themselves.