Re: [IP] Living with Diabetes Psychologically

>But anyway, I do find that whenever I try to explain the technical
>management stuff, people tend to lose interest really quickly -- even
>if they asked me about it in the first place. People just aren't prepared
>for that level of detail. As Jon Carroll, a San Francisco newspaper
>columnist who has type 2 diabetes said: "The director's cut version of
>the answer to the question 'How are you?' could run 2 1/2 hours."

This is a good point.  Very few have ever been able ot keep up past ther
first minute; so I just tell them it would take several hours to give them
a brief overview but in a nutshell:  [insert 2 minute speech here].

I always make a point to mention that it requires a lot of mathematics and
a computer is a necissity for managing diabetes.

What i don;t know how to handle are friends who just plain tell me I'm a
liar - that "their grandmother only has ot test once a week" and "you don't
have to be that exact with food"...  You can't help those who don;'t want

Still I have a hard time dealing with the anger and remarks that I'm lazy
or slow or "worse than a woman" etc when taking the extra few minutes to
test etc.  Now, later on if I don't do this and my evening is ruined form
high or low bg's they get down on me for that too!  Arrghh.  I felt better
about myself when I kept the diabtes a secret form everyone.  esp. my
parents.  By age 17 they thought I'd outgrown it!  really!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
of MDI!  (To date:  40% improvement in average bg's and 90% fewer hypos)!