[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #750

RE:  still don't like pumping. I have type 1 for 41 years and have the
disetronic pump for one year. My A1Cs were actually better when on MDIs.  I
chose the pump because I had real problems with low blood sugars and not
being able to detect them. Long-lasting insulin causes more sudden drops in
blood sugars and this, more than the numbers, put me in dangerous positions
especially when driving. However, now I have the confidence that I will not
pass out.  Even if my blood sugar is 40 or 50,---because it does not drop
suddenly, I know I am safe. Actually, the pump has made dressing the big
problem.  I am slender and so cannot comfortably tuck it into a bra. One
time, when I wore a thigh holder, it fell down because it could not be made
tight enough. I buy everything now with pockets. I certainly don't like the
idea that tight pants or skirts without pockets can not easily accommodate
the pump. I am thinking of trying the new glargine insulin which lasts 24
hours and does not precipitate lows. In addition, I do not like working
with the  disetronic company. I found that they manipulate the customer
more than accommodate. I am referring to a specific incident. I was told by
an area rep that there are prefilled cartridges for the new d-tron pump
that was ready for use after march. they gave customers who bought the pump
in march the 'power of choice'. that is, one could go on the h-tron and
then change to the dtron. I purchased my h-tron as of jan. 1. I was
therefore not with the group that was established 59 days later. I was then
told by another rep that there now exist prefilled cartridges for the
h-tron but they are being distributed only in an area other than the one
where I live (northeast). then I was told by a rep that this problem was
being brought to the attention of the board and he was sure I would be able
to get cartridges or change for the new dtron. I never heard from the
company again although I called a service dept. and faxed them my insurance
info. since I travel alot, the prefilled cartridge would be a real plus for
me. It would truly make me feel independent as I did when on MDIs. that is,
when it is time to fill a cartridge, one must have a clean space, etc.easy.
So, altho' the pump has some pluses for me, working with the disetronic
company DOES NOT!