RE[IP] donating blood

>>S/he also said that there has been some evidence (but
didn't have
the reference handy) about transmission of diabetes through
donations and they didn't want to jeopardize the entire

My response to this one is...BUNK! That is not the way you
get diabetes! How ridiculous. Another one I heard was that
you couldn't donate because it might cause an insulin
reaction. Baloney!

Also, when I spoke to the Pennsylvania Red Cross Blood Bank
last January 2000, I was told there should be no reason why
a person with diabetes in good control cannot donate blood.
This topic appears periodically (as questions about gushers,
Krispy Creme donuts, etc....see the archives). It would seem
that the national organizations for blood donation (National
RedCross, Blood Bank of America) would get together to
establish some standards. With the blood supply shortage a
constant threat, we need all the donors we can get!

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE