[IP] donating blood

 > My doctor has forbidden me to donate blood. He said "because the first
 > depleted is the pancreas"
I think your doctor is misinformed. There is no reason a diabetic in good
control cannot donate blood. The only constraints currently in force are that
one cannot be using (or have used) beef insulin because of the risk of CJD
(AKA mad cow disease), and re-using syringes (but they're not allowed to
Blood is not stored in the pancreas, nor is the blood supply to the pancreas
constricted with the relatively small loss of volume. The volume of fluid
lost in blood donation is replenished within hours.
For local rules, call the American Red Cross.
Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted
Spot says where did this doc get his degree? Excess red cells are stored in
the spleen and ejected into the circulation when needed. You cant be an
apheresis donor because they are afraid the blood might have germs from
your site in it. Too bad The bone marrow also acts as a reservoir for red
cells. When they ask about syringe reuse which they do I always say no, I
don't since the focus of the question is are you sharing syringes with
other people. Spot
A Bender, M. D.