[IP] higher cerebral functions yellow spots hypoglycemia

 > This must be a very individual thing. I've been diabetic for 19 years
 > and counting and I've never seen spots during a hypo. I thought from
 > what i've been reading that it took 30-40 years for this to happen and
 > now I read 5 years. So, maybe it will never happen? who knows?
When I assembled my BASH booklet, I included symptoms of hypo- and
hyperglycemia. For the hypos, PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS included: trembling,
dizziness, pounding or rapid heartbeat, poor coordination, sweating, hunger,
nausea. MENTAL SYMPTOMS: difficulty concentrating, headache, visual aura
(colored spot) or blurred vision, extreme fatigue (including deep yawning),
out-of-body sensation, lightheadedness, out-of-character behavior. EMOTIONAL
SYMPTOMS: irritability, sudden crying, anger, inappropriate giggling. The
body can respond to low blood sugar with a wide array of symptoms. This varies
per person and per episode, and can be confused with a high BG. Not everyone
develops all these symptoms; some might never experience any of them.
I got the list from an ADA article. I think the bottom line is - sometimes we
do, sometimes we don't; sometimes we never. YMMV (~_^)
The first thing that one learns about medicine is that there is no never
and no always.
all of these symptoms are signs of higher brain dysfunction, read improper
function. The brain needs carbs as glucose as well as oxygen to  function
properly. when it doesn't get them you get symptoms of yellow spots,
numbness on your extremities, twitching of your fingers and toes, a buzzing
feeling or t8ingling feeling, confusion, inability to exit a mental loop in
your thinking, fuzzy bad or irrational thinking. forgetting a well known
fact or number. such as what is the square root of two or what is pi. A lot
of these bizzare things are well documented in a fascinating and well
written book by MacDonald Critchley, "The devine banquet of the brain"
Critchley died just a few years ago and was the neurologist to the Queen of
England. He was a superb writer and a matchless observer. I was fortunate
to have met him and spoken with him on the many times he visited the
colonies here. Read it and enjoy it. You'll find other stuff in there that
was equally fascinating such as a chapter on tatoos "Tatooed Men, Tatooed
Ladies" The "Broca Dax Contraversy" which reduces the thoughts on
hemispheric specialization to high class BS. The book was published by
Raven Press in NYC and is out of print, too damn bad. I used to give it to
all of my residents and interns. An example of what your brain does and how
well it does it as well as English as She should be written Spot.
A Bender, M. D.