[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

[IP] Re: spilling glucose in urine

When I have kidney stones I see a urologist (that's just who I
got referred to by my primary care provider.) Your note made me
curious as to the difference, so I just looked up the definitions
in a medical dictionary. (In case anyone else wondered too.) 
It says urology is "the medical specialty involving the diagnosis
and treatment of diseases and disorders of the urinary tract and
of the male reproductive organs. (The urinary tract consists of
the kidneys, the bladder, the ureters, and the urethra.)" 
It says nephrology is "the branch of medicine concerned with the
study of kidney functions and the treatment of kidney diseases."

Jan said:
Why are you seeing a urologist when you are talking kidneys? *I*
think you need to see a nephrologist. A urologist specializes in
the urinary tract. If your kidney is showing dysfunction,
shouldn't you see a neph? YMMV (~_^)

Take care, Kerri, alulitsuti (mother of many children) & the
little guy due 3/10/01 
"There is a special magic and holiness about the girl and woman.
They are the bringers of life to the people, and the teachers of
the little children." - Sweet Medicine, Cheyenne
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
send a DONATION http://www.Insulin-Pumpers.org/donate.shtml