Re: [IP] Dogs in DKA

>I did out her down rather than cope with yet another one of us in
>the family! ;-/

>Any kind of acidosis is bad to die in be it DKA or Uremic like my cat. You
>did her a favor, Daily insulin is not a problem for dogs like it is for us
>but dogs require more management than we do because of their penchant for
>impromptu snacks. Cats don't like dialysis or clysis and it is so sad to
>see them unable to run around and play their cat tricks. In days of old
>imagine feeling like that and waiting to die before insulin. Plus being
>hungry and unable to eat or keep it down. Life is often unfair Spot.

This is exactly what went through my mind.  "What a terrible way to die".
Certainly no easier than advanced cancer, in fact maybe worse since the
suffering in the last stages of DKA can go on and on before the patient
(dog) finally dies.

In know many animals do well on insulin but doing diabetes mgt for a dog -
esp with the long walks and hikes and treating the dog's hypos in addition
to mine was not an option for a good life.

It was still very educational to actually see advanced DKA and how quickly
uncontroled diabetes makes the leap from the standard symptoms to DKA.

A friend has a 25 lb Type I cat which is doing well on insulin.  Of course
this cat is not active as my dog was.  A regular daily schedule and no
activity does make diabetes much more manageable in animals.

BTW:  That's not a typo:  It is a 25 lb cat!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 4 weeks + thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!