[IP] Dogs in DKA

I My dog developed Type I last year. I kept her alive as long as she was in
the early stages. The last night I observed first hand the effects of true
DKA. She showed ketones for a month prior to developing DKA. With DKA you
are 99% incapacitated and nothing, including the lungs, is working well
enough to allow you to function without assistance form someone else.
And yes. I did out her down rather than cope with yet another one of us in
the family! ;-/
Any kind of acidosis is bad to die in be it DKA or Uremic like my cat. You
did her a favor, Daily insulin is not a problem for dogs like it is for us
but dogs require more management than we do because of their penchant for
impromptu snacks. Cats don't like dialysis or clysis and it is so sad to
see them unable to run around and play their cat tricks. In days of old
imagine feeling like that and waiting to die before insulin. Plus being
hungry and unable to eat or keep it down. Life is often unfair Spot.
A Bender, M. D.