Re: [IP] Donating blood

I have lived in Pennsylvania while in college, then Indiana, and finally back
at home in Cleveland, Ohio.

I donated blood every other month or so during class competitions in college
and they asked if I had DM...I told them yes...they asked what my morning BG
was, and I was allowed to donate.

When I graduated and moved to Indiana, I was told I could not donate (by the
Red Cross there,) because an insulin dependent diabetic was placed in the
same category as an IV drug abuser.  What an insult.  The RC there claimed
that it was a federal regulation.  When I told them that I had donated in
Pennsylvania, they were shocked and told me that I 'could have gotten in big

Numerous people use blood drives to check if they have the HIV virus...and
when it is discovered, their blood is obvously not used.  But to be placed
into this 'high risk' category was more that I could handle.  I wanted to
help people.

Needless to say, I have not tried to donate here in Ohio as I do not want to
go through being compared to an IV drug abuser again.

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
MM508, IDDM X 18 Years, Pumping 6 X Years

In a message dated 12/31/00 8:18:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted