Re: [IP] Re: Fat guts!

Tony & Sue (Skay) Abruscato wrote:
> My son Anthony, 11, D since he was 6 has the same problem.  His ped endo
> said that he and my husband may have a predisposition to type 2 diabetes,
> although Anthony already had developed type 1.  She told us this particular
> body type is very typical of people who are genetically predisposed to type
> 2 diabetes.
> Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 run in both sides of my family, although
> the males usually develop type 1.  Type 2 runs in both sides of my
> husband's family.

So what that means is that as he gets into middle age, Anthony may (not
will!) develop Type 2 insulin resistance and require larger doses of
insulin. In that case, if he's lucky, his endo will allow him to try an
oral insulin-sensitizer like Glucophage in addition to his insulin.

Some docs still haven't figured out that it's possible to have both Type
1 AND Type 2 diabetes;  just because you got Type 1 in childhood doesn't
mean you can't develop the insulin-resistance portion of Type 2. So they
flatly refuse to treat it.

It's like the myth that Type 1's are never fat. Type 1 diabetics are
like EVERYONE else in the world -- they come in all shapes and sizes, as
long as their insulin requirements are met!

Good luck!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted