Re: [IP] Mini-med CGMS

Vern Catron wrote:
> For what it
> is worth, I feel that the readout should not be displayed as that would
> encourage chasing the Glucose levels.

Well, I don't want someone ELSE deciding for me what I might or might
not do when I see an out-of-range BG reading.

What I do think is that diabetics should be trained how to USE the

When I first started MDI, I did several stints of testing every half
hour, just to see how the food and insulin affected MY body. I did this
in order to establish curves -- I now know how long it takes for a meal
to peak, how long it takes for the insulin to bring me back down, and
how long before the insulin is out of my system.

If I had a continuous glucose sensor, I wouldn't be so foolish as to
think I should correct if I saw a reading in the 200's two hours out
from eating. I already know that's when I peak, and I would expect to
come down from that peak. On the other hand, if I saw a 200 four or five
hours out, then I'd correct, because I know that the humalog is already
finished by then.

I'd love to have a record of what my BGs do during the night -- the very
act of waking up to test seems to affect my dawn effect, and I have a
period during the morning that's very hard to control -- I swing from as
much as 250 down to as low as 50 with very little insulin. Taking enough
insulin to lower the peak invariably drives me too low in 2 hours. I
don't know if that's related to my dawn effect. The continuous monitor
could really help me there.

Basically, I don't want to be treated as if I'm too stupid to take care
of myself. While I grant you that there may be such people out there, I
really don't want to be subjected to a blanket ban based on their

And I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted