[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #877

>Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:03:49 -0600
>From: "Eric Fields" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Waiting on pump authorization
>Hi Everyone,
>I haven't posted in a while but I have been reading many of your helpful
>messages.  Thanks!!

>I have decided to go with Disetronic.  I am currently waiting for my
>insurance company(Medica) to give me 'authorization' to get the pump.  I
>received a call from a Medica rep in which they asked me a series of
>questions.  After giving them the answers, they said that I may be in TOO
>good of control to be authorized for a pump.

Though your overall control may seem favorable, most on multiple daily
injections use long acting insulins that behave erratically.  Hence, MDI-ers
suffer more from hypoglycemia and its consequences than pumpers.  Getting
off the long acting insulins and avoiding hypos are the big pumping

>I can see the pump is very beneficial to those that are
>having a difficult time getting their D under control but what about the
>people who have their D under control.  Should they lose the right to own a
>pump?  I'm know their are plenty of people in this group that had good
>control before they went on the pump.  Did anyone else run into this?

My hbga1c was 6.5% but i was having weekly hypoglycemias and injuring myself
from the spasms.  My Endo recommended the pump after the latest episode as a
way to avoid hypos.

>I'm beginning to wonder why we have Dr's and nurses when we can rely on
>insurance companies to diagnose what we NEED - NOT!  I'm hoping this is
>a stint to make me feel like I don't need the pump but if I don't get
>authorization, is this when Disetronic steps in??

D, or perhaps Michael?, can provide the form for a letter of medical
necessity which your doctor should sign and send off to your insurance

loves using his Disetronic in Austin, Texas