Re: [IP] There is a first time for everything

> I am very confused.  When I do I set change, I put the pump in suspend and
> disconnect at the site, while showering I remove what's attached to me and
> then proceed with IV prep , etc., etc.  The whole process takes me 15
> minutes.  I have always removed the old set first.
>From a previous post

1) insulin leaking out of the would with body fluids when you remove the
set. Any insulin that leaks out obviously is not absorbed.

2) preventing tissue damage at the infusion site. Damaged tissue does not
absorb insulin in the same manner as healthy undamaged tissue. Thus while
the insulin may have been delivered, it will not necessarily be absorbed.
You see this manifested occasionally when a site "goes bad".

By leaving the set in place, most of the insulin will be absorbed into
the blood stream before you irritate the site by removing the cannula.

About 5 years ago, Lily was experiencing the problem of highs after set
changes. One day she asked me what the "stuff" comming out of her old set
spot was -- since it was a clear fluid. She had just bolused for
breakfast and the droplet that appeared on her skin was about the size of
what forms on the end of a set when you prime it (small drop). We know
from the size of a priming bolus, that this can be as much as 5 units of
insulin. The next time she changed, we left the set in place. Lo and
behold, the after change high bg's went away.

Magic?? no, common sense.