> In a message dated 01/28/2000 10:42:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> <<<
>  Rule 500 - Divide 500 by Take Total Daily Insulin -
>  500/40 = 12.5 humalog ratio
>  500/30 =  16 humalog ratio
>   Kap uses 40 and somedays it is 30 units>>>

Careful folks!!!  These formulas are used to determine estimates for
STARTING therapy. I've run some informal checks on the values you get
vs the actuals that people end up with. In some cases, the formula is
right on, but in many others it is off by as much as a factor of
two. Insulin needs are highly dependent on many things including
activity level, hormones, health, diet, etc..... The BEST way to
determine ratios and basal needs is to measure them directly. For
more information on this, consult Pumping Insulin, the HOWTO pages
and your medical team.