Re: [IP] Shocked Nancy - pump is more work

In a message dated 1/27/00 11:12:15 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Then why is the only information I'm getting my diabetic care team is that

the pump is more work and has many more problems than MDI?  >>

Roselea, since being on the pump I spend more time weighing food, using a
calculator for carb counting, and testing (7-14 times a day) than I did the
bulk of the 14 years I was on MDI.  I am motivated to do all that work
because it usually works, which was not so true on MDI.  However, I spend
much less time on being blindsided by unpredictable lows, and as I told my
PCP when she mentioned obsessive-compulsive in relation to the number of
tests -- I come out ahead in terms of time, because  feeling so much better,
I actually have more usable hours to work with.  A lot of the problems we
talk about in our vents would have been just ignored by many on MDI, but we
on the pump know that paying a lot of attention and experimenting with
different ways of dealing with situations can (often, at least) actually
work, and our expectations are higher.  If someone wants really good control,
a pump is easier (unless you just happen to really fit the insulin profiles
and have a very regulated life anyway -- and never get sick or have
unexpected influences on your blood sugar... )  With a pump, you can take
insulin to match your food intake and life style, rather than matching your
food and activities to the insulin (MDI can get much closer to this than the
old days of 1 or 2 shots, but not as far as a pump).  With MDI, you don't
have to worry about mechanical problems with the pump or insertion sites
going bad.

Linda Z