Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:10:56 -0500
From: "Julie Britt" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] ketones/high bs...bad day, need to vent

I need to vent a little.  I woke up this morning at 6am and puked my little
heart out.  Had very large ketones and the meter read "HI".  I have felt
completely awful all day- had to skip classes and call in sick to work.  I
have it down to mid-200's and moderate ketones now, haven't felt nauseous
since the first time.  The 2 times I have had ketoacidosis and puking, I
couldn't stop.  You know how it is when that feeling won't go away and you
just keep on wretching?  But this time I only did it once and then the
feeling was gone.  I guess it wasn't as severe this time so I didn't go to
the hospital.  I think it will be fine by tomorrow morning, hopefully by
later tonight, but for now I'm so mad. No, I take that back, I don't have
the energy to be mad.  I don't even know how it happened.  I had dinner
around 8pm, bolused for that even though I only had about 20g carbs.  At the
movies at 10 I ate about 1/2 cup, maybe 2/3, of peanut m&m's, but I actually
bolused more than I should have because I have noticed they make me high if
I only do enough to cover the carb amount they give you in the nutrition
info.  Then around 1 at my boyfriend's, we were watching tv and I felt high,
so I did a little bolus (didn't have testing stuff though).  Came home and
drank some Gatorade, and bolused again, more than enough.  I put my site in
2 days ago, and no problems since.  What gives???  Twice since I've been on
the pump I've had large ketones and high bs but the first time the pump had
something wrong and we fixed it, the second time was a crooked cannula, but
that was as soon as I put the new site in.  I feel better overall with the
pump, much better, and my HbA1c is WAY down...but should I expect this type
of thing to happen regularly?  This is 3 times in 13 months.  Am I doing
something wrong?  Do others experience these problems?  Off track, why is it
so hard to call in sick and explain that I'm throwing up, can't come in, but
it's not the flu and I'll be fine tomorrow???  OK, I'm done now.  I need to
lay down.  I have a splitting headache, I'm still breathing hard and my
heart is beating fast. I don't feel nauseous, but weak.  Is this how
everybody else gets too?  Thanks for listening and for any responses.  I
don't know anyone else I could talk to who would understand.

End of insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #863