Re: [IP] Vent vent vent AHHH!!!...at myself!

In a message dated 1/25/00 8:49:19 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<  Checked BG - 560...Bleah!!!  Bolused 10 units (usually 1

will bring me down 50 pts., but when higher it takes more), came home.  At

5:00 I was only down to 475...now here's where I probably should have said

"Okay, give those 10 units longer to work."  >>

Oh Sammi, you did fine -- you figured out what went wrong.  Now you are so
much better prepared for the next time!  I wear a watch that has an easy to
set reminder alarm for 1,3,5,10,15,20, and 30 minutes, so when I am putting
off taking my bolus, I press the button 7 times so it will ring in 30
minutes.  Then I can add more time if appropriate. (Aging brains need extra
help with memory)

I have also had the experience of a bolus to correct a high taking longer to
work when my bs is very high.  You talked about a unit not having the same
effect with a high;  maybe it is because of insulin insensitivity with high
bs, which could also retard it's action.  Also, even with humalog, a large dos
e has a tail for me (I don't worry about remainder after 2 hrs ordinarily,
but with a large dose I would still have some effect for more than twice
that).  And third, I don't think most meters are going to be awfully accurate
in their readings when you get up to the 500 range, so your dosage can only
be approximate.

Linda Z