[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #860

In a message dated 1/25/2000 10:23:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 so my questions - does anybody have a suggestion for
 how to keep the fasttake warm? it's become sort of a
 problem, because there is also no central heating
 here, so a lot of the time the rooms are very cold.
 thanks and good luck -
 - -laura >>
Hi Laura,

I hate the cold, but live in NE Ohio thus like you, I'm stuck with it.  When
my FastTake is cold I put it under my arm next to my clothing for a while
till it warms up. Sounds disgusting doesn't it?  But it works.  I do the same
for my fingers which go numb many times throughout the day due to "Reynaud's"
 which is a condition that causes ones fingers to go completely numb and
white with the least bit of chill in the air.  I'm sure people wonder about
the crazy mom in the grocery store with her hands stuck in her armpits.  lol
 I also have to beg my husband to fill the tank in my van because I just
can't pump gas in this cold weather!

In regards to crazy blood glucose levels, I have also learned about the
rollercoaster rides when numbers go low, and then jump very high even with
the appropriate amount of glucose tabs.  It's definitely related to stress
from the low...the body's   emergency response to the low is to pump out
glucose from the liver.