[IP] significant others

I have just begun treatment for depression and anxiety problems- prozac and
therapy sessions.  For those out there who also have these problems, I need
some input.  My poor boyfriend is always so supportive of me, and tries so
hard to understand my medical problems, but he just can't understand this.
He thinks depression means that I'm sad and he needs to cheer me up, and
that anxiety means that I have problems that he needs to help me solve.  I
have tried to explain that it's partly chemical/biological in my brain, and
also related to diabetes, and I have tried telling him my symptoms, but to
no avail. How do others explain diabetes, the pump, and psychological
problems to significant others?