Re: [IP] Pregnancy and Diabetes

At 6:19 PM -0500 1/24/00, Felice Chiodo wrote:
>    Is there anyone out there who had pre-existing problems due to  thier
>diabetes before getting pregnant?  How was your pregnancy?    Or has
>anyone had any problems after getting  pregnant? I love hearing about all
>the wonderful outcomes, but before I  make my decision I would like to
>hear both sides of the story.  I have high  blood pressure, nephropathy
>and retinopathy, but since I have been on the pump  my sugars are great.
>My doctor said I would be able to get pregnant in the  future.  I would
>love to hear from everyone.   Thanks, Daniela

Hi Daniela,

A general note on diabetic complications and pregnancy: my perinatologists
told me that the complications, such as retinopathy and nephropathy, may
worsen during pregnancy but then go back to their pre-pregnancy state. They
insisted I see my opthamologist every 3 months while I was pregnant and did
tests on kidney function.

I got pregnant with my son (now 11) when I'd had DM for 15 years and had
had retinopathy for 3 years. That pregnancy was fairly uneventful, although
he was born 6 weeks premature due to pre-eclampsia, which DMers are more
prone to have.

We decided to try for a second child 4 years later, but my second son was
born dead at 22 weeks due to premature rupture of the membranes, which had
nothing to do with DM. I went on to have 3 1st trimester miscarriages. The
doctors all felt they were unrealted to DM, however.

My 6th (and last!) pregnancy ended in the happy birth of my daughter, now
2, 6 weeks early due to pre-eclampsia just like her older brother.
(Pre-eclampsia, once known as toxemia, runs in my family and there is a
definite genetic component to it, so ask your mom about it.)

My last pregnancy was on a pump, which was a lot easier than my MDI
pregnancies. I would also recommend that you get a doctor (perinatologist,
preferably) who is experienced in dealing with DM pregnancies. You can have
a healthy baby, but you need the knowledge to do it. The torrent of
hormones in the 1st trimester always made my BGs go wild and so I always
tested like a madwoman then. For most women, the third trimester means
increased insulin resistance. It really helps to *know* this stuff before

As Barb suggested, get your team in order and make sure that you like and
trust them. :-)

Good luck!

(Type I, 26 years, D. pumper since 10/95)