Re: [IP] pregnancy & diabetes

I've never seen Steel Magnolias though I have heard much about it.  Mostly
from well-meaning friends who told me not to see it since they thought I
would find it depressing.  Ha!  Like a movie would tell me something I
didn't know already!

I've been diabetic since 1970 and have had two children in the last 4 years.
For the first I was on MDI, for the second I was on the pump.  Both were
non-problematic, full-term pregnancies.  The babies were 6-1/2 and 7-1/2 lbs
at birth.  I delivered both vaginally though I was induced with a pitocin
drip both times.  The first nursed for a year, at which point she
self-weaned.  The second is still nursing at 8 months.

I was under very tight control both before and during both pregnancies, and
I was closely monitored by both my endo and my OB/GYN.

I would advise against a home delivery since the babies of diabetic women,
even those under excellent control, sometimes need extra medical attention
at birth.  I do tend to be a bit conservative on these issues, though.  Why
work so hard for 9 months and then take any chances on the baby's health at

I thoroughly enjoyed being pregnant: it's an amazing time!