Re: [IP] pregnancy & diabetes

In a message dated 1/22/00 9:00:29 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I am still
 curious (mostly want ammo for well-meaning but misinformed family
 members who have seen Steel Magnolias too many times <G>.) >>

I abhore that movie! I could write you a book about a Diabetic pregnancy,
me tell you! LOL If your sugars are controlled, there is no reason not to
have kids! Ask my 4, they will tell ya! LOL The pregnancy is automatically
considered high risk, yes, but it doesn't mean that there will be a
delivery. All 4 of mine were C-sections, but I was in a car accident 10
ago(hit head on by a Diabetic who passed out from low bg, no kidding!) that
shattered my pelvis and caused me to not be able to deliver vaginally. My
babies were all big, despite controlled blood sugars and they were all
 : )  I breastfed my last child for 16 months until he self weaned. I went
my pump while breastfeeding and had no trouble at all : ) I have a friend
delivered all 3 of her kids vaginally and she has Diabetes for a number of
years. Anything is possible! I inquired with my midwife to if she would
me to attempt a homebirth and she said, "SURE!" I would just need a release
from my Perinatologist : ) He would have no problem allowing me to try to
deliver at home, so who knows what the future holds? I had my tubes tied
after my last baby, but we've been tossing around the idea of a tubal
reversal : ) I couldn't have had better pregnancies if I wasn't Diabetic, so
when people ask if they should have a baby I always tell them, "Why not?" It
sure didn't stop me ; )

 Ami in FL
dx'd at age 9
MM 507C since 1/99
last A1c- 7.0

Thanks Ami, for the word of confidence for those of us who really want to
have children, but have also have seen Steel Magnolias too many times.  I
always love hearing from a diabetic woman who has fairly easy pregnancies
and healthy babies.  I get so tired so people who say- well, you can't have
kids can you? (ugh!). Thats not good for a person's confidence.  Good luck
w/ the maybe.... next baby & home delivery!

dx'd @ age 16
MM 508 (12/99)
last HbA1c  6.9