In a message dated 1/23/00 9:53:05 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

(regarding the little girl who died of "insulin shock" after apparently not
getting insulin:)

<< This only makes me wonder how many other misstatements of fact get
 in fields with which I am unfamiliar.  >>

You'd be amazed -- and shocked, Sam. :-)  Even if you know a lot about a
subject, it's easy to slip up if you're not very careful. Sadly, on deadline
you don't always have time to be very careful.

I did write the reporter and told him that DM is a very complex disease and I
understood that not only was he possibly ignorant of the facts, but I also
realized he was only quoting somebody else. Then I explained the difference
between insulin shock and DKA.

In answer to another question about the process of writing headlines: They're
usually written by somebody who is on a very tight page deadline, who is also
doing final editing and layout, then trying to explain a long story with a
minimal amount of words and who only has time to read the first paragraph or
so instead of having the luxury of sitting back, digesting the entire article
and actually thinking for even a few minutes.

My fantasy, BTW, is to take the next person who ignores all the errors we've
found and corrected, hones in on the one that slipped through, haul that
person in on deadline, give them about 2 million tasks to do (while the phone
rings incessantly) and tell that person: "Here. *You* put out a perfect
paper!" LOL

I'm also wondering if the mother was properly educated about DM.

(who once went 6 years without having a period when she worked on a daily.
Can you say "stress"?)