Re: [IP] pregnancy & diabetes

In a message dated 1/22/00 9:00:29 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I am still
 curious (mostly want ammo for well-meaning but misinformed family
 members who have seen Steel Magnolias too many times <G>.) >>

I abhore that movie! I could write you a book about a Diabetic pregnancy, let
me tell you! LOL If your sugars are controlled, there is no reason not to
have kids! Ask my 4, they will tell ya! LOL The pregnancy is automatically
considered high risk, yes, but it doesn't mean that there will be a C-section
delivery. All 4 of mine were C-sections, but I was in a car accident 10 years
ago(hit head on by a Diabetic who passed out from low bg, no kidding!) that
shattered my pelvis and caused me to not be able to deliver vaginally. My
babies were all big, despite controlled blood sugars and they were all healthy
 : )  I breastfed my last child for 16 months until he self weaned. I went on
my pump while breastfeeding and had no trouble at all : ) I have a friend who
delivered all 3 of her kids vaginally and she has Diabetes for a number of
years. Anything is possible! I inquired with my midwife to if she would allow
me to attempt a homebirth and she said, "SURE!" I would just need a release
from my Perinatologist : ) He would have no problem allowing me to try to
deliver at home, so who knows what the future holds? I had my tubes tied
after my last baby, but we've been tossing around the idea of a tubal
reversal : ) I couldn't have had better pregnancies if I wasn't Diabetic, so
when people ask if they should have a baby I always tell them, "Why not?" It
sure didn't stop me ; )

 Ami in FL
dx'd at age 9
MM 507C since 1/99