>At 07:31 AM 1/23/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>>Here's a partial copy of a newspaper article from the Asheville, NC
>>Citizen Times:
>>ASHEVILLE - Alternative practitioner Laurence Perry's lawyer steadfastly
>>maintains his client did nothing wrong in the case of Helena Rose
>>Kolitwenzew, the 8-year-old girl who died Oct. 21 from insulin shock.
>If she did, in fact, die from insulin shock  I personally don't believe
>there is a case.  (I, however, also don't believe she died of insulin
>What I find even more shocking is how few people seemed to notice the
>inconsistency in the article itself.

I had noticed it when I originally read the article, but I just dismissed
it as a case of layman's ignorance. I don't think that either the average
reporter or reader has a clue as to what insulin shock is. Although we
throw around terms such as hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia in this group,
they aren't terms that the average person would understand. So, I doubt
that anyone except a diabetic or a medical professional would have caught
this error.

This only makes me wonder how many other misstatements of fact get reported
in fields with which I am unfamiliar. Pretty scary, huh?