Re: [IP] A Poll -- 3am check on kids

Fran Baumgartner wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been following this thread and I am a bit confused and have some
> thoughts that have compelled me to respond and ask questions.  First of all
> my intent is not to judge, condemn or whatever and I apologize in advance
> if it comes across this way.  I do not have kids with diabetes but I am a
> kid with diabetes since age 3, diagnosed 1963.
> Personally I do not do 3:00 am checks, but I do check any and every time I
> wake up in the nighttime.  After being on the pump for a week I did two 12
> hour fast where I got up every hour through one night to set my basel rates
> accordingly.  I typically wake up with "normal" blood sugars.  My schedule
> too can be erratic and well I am female so I definitely deal with the
> hormone stuff.
> I would think the pump would make things easier for parents, but from what
> I am reading here that does not seem to be correct.
> Growing up, all my parents had was my urine ( if they could get it out of
> me when "they" wanted it.  <VBG> ), and those lovely tablets to see if I
> was somewhere between blue and orange.  They had absolutely no tool
> available to them to test me in the middle of the night.  Does this mean
> they didn't check on me, no, but we've talked about it and I know that for
> the first year my mom got up a lot to check on me but after that off to bed
> I went and so did they without getting up to check on me.  I had my one
> shot a day from the lovely boiled glass cartridge and stainless steal
> needle, had my three meals a day at the exact same time, and my bedtime
> snack and as you can see I am still here to talk about it.
> Blood testing was not available until I was 20 or so.  So for the first 17
> years of diabetes and it was trying to aim that "spoon" and put that drop
> of urine on the tablet and pray it came up blue.  I know there are several
> members of this list that know what I am talking about and glad to be
> around to talk about it.
> I guess what bothers me about this thread is what are your kids going to do
> when they leave the house?  I would think it would be more beneficial to
> teach them to make adjustment to their basel rates according to their
> activity level that day, etc..  For me teaching them this would help them
> when they are on their own.  I would think with the pump that you should be
> able to alleviate the nightly testing, but from what I am reading this is
> incorrect, why is that?
> Recently I've had a few friends call me to say that a friend of a friends X
> age old child has been diagnosed with diabetes, what would you
> recommend.  I immediately say "a pump after they've gone through the
> honeymoon period".  Now I wonder, I wouldn't wish on any kid or parent
> having to get up every night once or more.  Yes at first this is necessary,
> but always?  No thanks, I think aiming for the "spoon" was much easier and
> [...]

I tend to agree with what you are saying.  I have been pumping for only about a
week and have found my life has become incredibly complicated since the process
began.  I was diagnosed in November 1964, so I have been taking a daily shot in
excess of 35
years.  I went on two shots per day about a year ago and four shots about two
or three months back.  The inconvenience of multiple shots is the thing that
made me consider a pump.  I felt that it had to make the process easier.  I
quickly found out how wrong this assumption was.  The second day after the pump
was in place I was playing golf and the cannula came out with no warning.  By
the time I got home, my blood sugar had balooned to  somewhere in excess of
600.  This all happened in about three hours' time.  Since this experience, I
have finally developed some confidence that I can keep the cannula in place
through the use of Compound of  Benzine Tincture prior to applying the tape.  I
have still not decided if we are better off than in the days when we used the
old glass syringe and metal syringe and boiled them each day for
sterilization.  I do know that things have become infinitely more complicated.