[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #845

> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:46:53 -0800
> From: Kerri <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] pregnancy & diabetes
> Ami and Dawn,
> Gee, I'm just full of questions today. Hope no one minds!
> I have been wondering about this since my daughter (age 9) was
> diagnosed 3+ yrs ago. I know, I know, she still has a LOT of time
> ahead of her before she ever has children! However, I am still
> curious (mostly want ammo for well-meaning but misinformed family
> members who have seen Steel Magnolias too many times <G>.) I
> already know that a diabetic pregnancy is considered high risk,
> but does it mean automatic c-sections too? (What about automatic
> early inductions - has anyone here ever been "allowed" to go to
> term?) I would think if you are in excellent control (and with no
> complications) it wouldn't be necessary but then, I don't know
> that much about diabetes and pregnancy.
> Your stories are very encouraging! Thanks for sharing! :)

 I have had 3 pregnancies.  All went Extremely normal. (minus the
diabetes.)  I carried all untill I went into labor myself.  And all were
delivered vaginally.  I had an epidural for the first two and the last was
all natural.  That was a lot of work and very tiring but I don't think I'll
ever do anything to top that experience.   My children are 6 (in Feb) and 2
and 1.  The last two are only 51 weeks apart.  For the first one I stayed
in the hospital 4 days because my son was having some problems and needed
to be in the NICU for observation.  The Second one, I was in for 2 days and
went home, and the last, I was in for 24hr.s and we went home.   He was
born on the 21st of Dec.and I went home from the hospital only to cook
Christmas dinner for 15 people 3 days later.  Never would I do that again.
agh!  I breastfed the second two and that was a good, but crazy experience
too.  Blood sugars do get wacky.  Ask Ami.  She can side with that.  (Ami
and I have been pen pals since 1995)   Also I might add that while I was
pregnant my blood suagers seemed to fall right in line .  Maybe because not
just my life depended on it for once.  I don't know.  My A1C's were allways
great and I've had my best ones while pregnant.   Hopefully your daughter
will have babies in a time when diabeties is a thing of the past.  :)

email @ redacted Bragg, NC
Sheila Morris
NetZero - Defenders of the Free World