[IP] Teenaged Girls & Higher A1Cs post-pump (long)

Dear Jo-Ann, Lindsey and Anne:
    Since all 3 of you posted about varied issues with 13 yr old daughters,
in particular rising A1Cs since starting the pump, I'm answering in this
group format, having had my daughter begin pumping nearly 4 yrs ago, at age
13 too.
   Pre-pump, Melissa's A1C was 8.8 ( good old hormones!) & 6 months later, it
was 6.8! WOW, I thought we'd found Nirvana....Thereafter, she generally
ranged in the low-mid 7s until I was dx'd with breast cancer in Dec. 97. Her
A1C three months later was 8.8 and the next one was 8.9. Her endo simply
said, "Melissa, I know that you know what needs to be done"...end of story.
Six months later, she was back to 6.9 and her most recent one was 7.3, down
from a 7.7. I relate this information to demonstrate that even with this
wondrous technology, we cannot control our daughters' hormones, stress
levels, emotional state, etc- all of which impact their diabetic control. I
marvel at the adults in this IP group who diligently check, keep records,
make adjustments, etc. on a regular basis. IF my daughter did the same, her
#s would be even better I'm sure. But, as I've stated before, if this is "as
good as it gets" for now, at least she IS compliant. She checks her bg 6-8
times per day, is completely responsible about everything related to the pump
(I don't even ask anymore), and has pretty much "accepted" that this whole
lifestyle is "non-negotiable". Yes, she has times when she HATES having
diabetes & accomodating the pump & not being able to eat because she's
unexpectedly high, etc.....I try to simply listen, nod supportively & remind
her how infrequently these frustrating high bgs do occur in comparison to her
pre-pump days....Nothing she didn't already know, but not something she's
going to "vent" to her close friends.
   So I'd suggest you remind your daughters that by using pump therapy, they
ARE doing something incredibly responsible and mature and TOUGH at
times....but that unlike shots, the beauty of a pump is that there are always
other avenues to explore. Melissa for example always goes high after eating
cereal. I've repeatedly passed on IP suggestions & received the "teenaged
rolling eyeball syndrome" as a response....until this morning, when she
decided to "try" the notion of bolusing before she began ( she usually
boluses after her meal - digests slowly) & taking the other 1/2 fifteen
minutes later. Haven't checked yet, but the bg is less impt. here than her
willingness to LISTEN & LEARN- which would NOT necessarily have been the case
at any other given moment in time!!
     So whether the "remedy" is switching to Silhouettes; finding
alternatives for taping problems; bolusing differently ( our #1 hint that
works for pizza, chinese, etc. is to do the whole bolus after the meal & then
run a 50% temp basal increase for the next 4-5 hrs); rechecking basals (
which DEFINITELY need re-doing with growing girls); adjusting for menstrual
cycles (for Melissa, always high before, low day of); moving the site to the
back upper hip from the stomach, etc........by working in tandem with your
child, and ideally with your spouse's assistance too ( to offset the
chronicity of diabetes' toll), you can better appreciate & perceive the tiny
increments on that "learning curve" & enjoy the view, looking back at where
you started & how far you've progressed!
   Time to hop off the soapbox & go awaken the snoozing 17 yr old & see how
the "Honey Nut Cheeerios experiment" worked! Just checked: 146....2 1/2 hrs
after cereal/ as opposed to her usual 280!!

Regards, Renee (who always tells my hubby that I'm more amazed that the pump
DOES work as well as it does as often as it does, than by the times it
doesn't "cooperate"!!)