Re: [IP] A Poll -- 3am check on kids

I've been following this thread and I am a bit confused and have some
thoughts that have compelled me to respond and ask questions.  First of all
my intent is not to judge, condemn or whatever and I apologize in advance
if it comes across this way.  I do not have kids with diabetes but I am a
kid with diabetes since age 3, diagnosed 1963.

Personally I do not do 3:00 am checks, but I do check any and every time I
wake up in the nighttime.  After being on the pump for a week I did two 12
hour fast where I got up every hour through one night to set my basel rates
accordingly.  I typically wake up with "normal" blood sugars.  My schedule
too can be erratic and well I am female so I definitely deal with the
hormone stuff.

I would think the pump would make things easier for parents, but from what
I am reading here that does not seem to be correct.

Growing up, all my parents had was my urine ( if they could get it out of
me when "they" wanted it.  <VBG> ), and those lovely tablets to see if I
was somewhere between blue and orange.  They had absolutely no tool
available to them to test me in the middle of the night.  Does this mean
they didn't check on me, no, but we've talked about it and I know that for
the first year my mom got up a lot to check on me but after that off to bed
I went and so did they without getting up to check on me.  I had my one
shot a day from the lovely boiled glass cartridge and stainless steal
needle, had my three meals a day at the exact same time, and my bedtime
snack and as you can see I am still here to talk about it.

Blood testing was not available until I was 20 or so.  So for the first 17
years of diabetes and it was trying to aim that "spoon" and put that drop
of urine on the tablet and pray it came up blue.  I know there are several
members of this list that know what I am talking about and glad to be
around to talk about it.

I guess what bothers me about this thread is what are your kids going to do
when they leave the house?  I would think it would be more beneficial to
teach them to make adjustment to their basel rates according to their
activity level that day, etc..  For me teaching them this would help them
when they are on their own.  I would think with the pump that you should be
able to alleviate the nightly testing, but from what I am reading this is
incorrect, why is that?

Recently I've had a few friends call me to say that a friend of a friends X
age old child has been diagnosed with diabetes, what would you
recommend.  I immediately say "a pump after they've gone through the
honeymoon period".  Now I wonder, I wouldn't wish on any kid or parent
having to get up every night once or more.  Yes at first this is necessary,
but always?  No thanks, I think aiming for the "spoon" was much easier and
I survived quite well my first 15 years of diabetes doing that.

Again, I don't have kids so I can't even begin to relate what any of you
parents are going through.  I can only relate to what my own parents have
shared with me and my own life experiences.

Fran, Type I 37 years, Pumping this time 1.5 years.