[IP] Mommadoo - Books

say to lose weight , and I would
not even need insulin. Guilt trip, all my fault, Does anyone else ever
feel like this?

I'm not a Type 2, but I know the "guilt trip" route very well.  A while back
I posted some titles of books that I've found extremely helpful in dealing
with the emotional aspects of diabetes (so forgive me, those who've seen
this list before <g>...one of the occupational hazards in the field of
education is repeating yourself a lot!), & I think it's worth sharing again
for new folks.  My two favorites here are Meditations on Diabetes (short,
very easy-to-read stories that are really thought-provoking) & Women &
Diabetes (the exercise near the beginning, where you draw the circle of who
you are, was something I found to be enormously helpful).

I remembered a lot of emotional ups & downs born of diabetes in my life, & I
wanted to share info about some resources that I have found to be extremely

Psyching Out Diabetes: A Positive Approach to Your Negative Emotions (Rubin,
Biermann, & Toohey)
Diabetes: Caring for Your Emotions as Well as Your Health (Edelwich &
Caring for the Diabetic Soul (ADA)
Meditations on Diabetes (Catherine Feste)
Women & Diabetes (Poirier & Coburn)
The Diabetic Woman (Jovanovic, Biermann, & Toohey)
**The latter two above also collaborated with someone else (I think) on The
Diabetic Man...haven't read that, but given what I have read by them, I
beieve it would be a valuable resource as well.
When a Family Gets Diabetes (Heegard & Ternand)

And these aren't specifically diabetes-oriented, but they are wonderful as
help in turning around your thought processes to overcome the depression &
anxiety that for many are part of the whole "diabetic package":
Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy (David D. Burns)
The Feeling Good Handbook (Burns)