Re: [IP] Misinformation (was something else)

<snip>I knew that there were some of MM, but this isn't really a
misconception.  I'm going to guess that no one at MM will recommend that
it's users can swim or shower with impunity.<snip>

However, I've heard many D users talk about "If you were thrown into a pool
with a MM on, your pump would probably fail."  NOT TRUE.  A dunk is not
going to hurt it.  Yes, you should take it off if you choose to stay in the
pool and play, but in my case, I would have to enter a temp basal of 0.0
anyhow so I don't go low.

<snip> What I have heard the most on this list is that the MM is water
resistant, while the D is waterproof, which seems to be what you are
claiming.   <snip>

I'm not trying to claim MM is waterproof as much as the D is.  It isn't.
However, a dunk is NOT going to put it out of commission.  My point is, you
don't need to "freak out" if you MM gets wet.  I was warned how I might be
in trouble if I get caught in a rainstorm with my MM on.   Personally, I
avoid getting caught in rainstorms, but when I do, my first thought is not
my pump (usually it is about papers I have on me, or when I can get a
chance to change into dry clothing).

<snip>Maybe 5%, or 95%, of the time an MM will not have a problem, but
there is the chance, one that I, personally, would not want to take.  <snip>

With pumping period, there is a chance of failure/problems.  MM or D.  On a
typical day for MOST people, regardless of which pump they use, you have a
much higher risk of having a disruption of insulin due to a cathert getting
out, insulin being denatured, or some other problem.  This had nothing to
do with the type of pump you are using.  Both MM and D are pieces of
electronic equipment.  They both have a risk of failing.

<snip>This is a little different from claiming something that was never
true, and never could be true (imo). <snip>

Personally, I think people should just get their facts straight before
opening their mouthes.  MM has been around for quite a long time now (*if*
I remember right their first pump came out in 1980).  If you told me the
PackerdBell computer I was considering couldn't handle Windows 98 so I
should buy a IBM, you are wrong.  Even if you are talking about an old 386
PB.  The new product (the one you can buy now), does have those features.
The people who are asking these questions might be interested in what an
old MM could do, but their really asking about what the one THEY WILL BUY
can do.

But as I said in my previous post, it really makes little difference in the
long run which pump you choose.  I love my MM.  Currently I love it in
particular because it is mine and I know it well.  How it looks is still a
big "factor" for me.  Function wise, it doesn't make a whole lot of
difference.  If I had a D, I could do a temp. basal (if I wanted to bring
up the past, I could mention *my* conception that on early D models you can
not to a temp increase, but that is irrelevant anyhow) instead of a square
wave.  I would adjust to military time.  A second pump would be nice, but I
also (*personally*) have come to the conclusion reverting to shots for a
day or two until a replacement MM would come would not be the end of my
world if my MM failed.  I do not expect this to happen, and be a complete
rarity if it did happen, and in the mean time, I like how my MM looks (I
guess I haven't worked out all of my adolescent feelings of looks, or maybe
it is something like makeup that some friends just feel better if they
"look nice" with it on).  My pump has taken a beating and kept on clicking
(I got knocked over by a horse and fell on my pump, apart from the bruise
the pump caused, my pump was the least of my problems), so I'm not
particularly concerned by failure.