[IP] Snapping & Crackling & Popping

> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:57:39 -0500
> From: Sherry Webb Nolan <email @ redacted>
> Subject: RE: [IP] The dreaded E13 MM Warning-Sherry
> Yep,
> I figured mine out on my own.  (I did call MM to report them though).
> Static Electricity.  I was crackling like rice krispies in milk both times
> when it happened.  With the -20 wind chill here in boston and running too
> and from buildings at work and driving home.  I could have lit a light
> - -- Sherry

I think most of us can admit to learning something since joining this list.
I get amazed at the way all of you *wear* your pumps in pockets with exposed
tubing, etc. (Personally, I think exposed tubing is as attractive as a bra
strap sticking out.) But when I have called MiniMed at different times, they
have always questioned how I contain my pump and they have insisted it be in
leather bags (however, I will admit mine are vinyl) to avoid static
electricity. I was also told to put a used fabric softener sheet in the bag
to absorb the SE. They told/tell me when their Santa Ana winds begin to
blow, they tell all the pumpers (all the techs wear them) to be sure to
touch something metal before touching their pumps to release that SE.  In
northern Indiana when the temp drops, the humidity does too and walking on
carpeting can really stir up the SE. I make sure I have that softener sheet
in my color-matching-my-outfit bag that swings freely from my color-matching
belt. A certain type sweater I wear (Luxelon - have 4) is especially bad
when I remove my coat. I put a can of Static Guard in the pocket in the
closet so I'm sure to spray myself before putting my coat on and leaving the
house. It helps 75%.
Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)