[IP] Re: Diabetes "Educators" Who Know Too Little -- aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

Hi, guys.  Just have to vent a bit.  Went to a parent support group
meeting Tuesday night and spent an hour listening to a "nutritionalist"
from the local hospital (not the one we go to, thank God).  Man, she
should consider joining our group so she can update her information.  It
was so frustrating!  Just a few of the things she told the parents that
really raised my eyebrows: "your kids need to eat the same thing at the
same time every day" and "oh, no, pumps are only for those patients who
have their blood sugars under control, and even then we won't consider
them until they are in their teens."  Yes, I tried to KINDLY enlighten
her (sliding scales, pumps for kids) but just got blank stares from
everyone.  So, I want to add my thank you to all of you who take time out
of your already busy lives each day to spend time here helping us live
with diabetes.  We are teaching, we are learning, we are making life
better for ourselves.  And you know what?  Thanks to you all who
encourage us to stay active, I'm going skiing with my kid today!  We will
not live in a closet!!!
God Bless,
Debbie, Mom of Katie, 9, dx'd 9/97
MiniMed pumper since 8/2/99 (youngest kid in Alaska...so far!)