[IP] Belly Basals vs "Butt" basals???

Bob (Burnett),

Today, I was talking to my CDE (who has very few pump
patients) and she said they don't recommend doing
sites in the buttocks area only the abdomen. She had
never heard of doing the ribcage area either, which
works great for me if I insert the Tender at a 10 to
20 degree angle. Do you use the ribcage area?

I frequently rotate to the buttocks and have found,
like you, the time it take insulin which is bolused to
start working/lowering blood sugar levels is longer.
When you say, "Your basals are slightly off..." Do you
mean the timing or the overall amount of insulin you
need is more? I haven't seen any difference in my
basals (May not be smart enough to notice... Ha! Ha!)

Andrea Seitz
Who only has so much skin space :]

>Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:25:34 +0000
>From: Bob Burnett <email @ redacted>
>Subject: Re: [IP] Belly Basals vs "Butt" basals???

>I notice a difference when I've got my set inserted
>my butt. The bolus seems to take longer to "kick in",
>and it seems my basals are slightly off as well. This
>seems logical, since the infusion site is farther
away >from the abdominal area, which is generally
accepted >as the optimal location for your sets.

>Since there seems to be a pattern to this, I just
>bolus with a bit more lead time. I don't bother
>adjusting basal rates, just make corrections when

Bob Burnett

Do You Yahoo!?