Re: [IP] dex study: how Kev accepts this as his way of life

Robin and all -

I can't say enough of your statement about Kevin - how can he just accept
this as  his way of life.  Imagine, for those of you who maybe didn't find
out until later years that you had diabetes.  I was diagnosed with it before
I turned 4.  My actual first memory is that of being in the hospital (and
funny story to the side here - there were volunteer workers in the ped's
wing of the hospital, who brought my little roommate and I popsicles when we
were sad because our parents left to go home - only to have a mean nurse
come in and snatch it from my little hands and take enough time to berate me
for eating it, and the volunteer for his 'ignorance.'  B#%@8.  Not before,
mind you, we had swiped them a few times on the bottom of our slippered feet
because it turned the soles a pretty shade of orange.  Ahhh,

People ALWAYS ask me what it's like to live with the big D.  I always have
to reply that it's been something I've taken care of for as long as I can
remember - doing shots, crying when the lab guys dropped glass tubes of
blood and had to re-draw the samples, carbo counting, yadda yadda yadda.
It's a HABIT to me.  Just like I wouldn't go a day without brushing my
teeth, I wouldn't go a day not testing my sugars and not giving my
injections.  I don't really consider it a 'living hell' though it sometimes
seems that way (esp. now with thyroid problems it's hard to keep my sugars
in line) but it's more of a daily ritual.  I think it'll be hard to break
when I go on the pump.  Just to add another note, a friend I worked with had
a KPTX two years ago.  He went to dinner with another friend who is also
diabetic.  When she took out her glucometer to test her reading before the
meal, he burst out in tears - because he missed the ritual of testing and
taking care of his pump things.  'Old habits die hard,' he said.  I often
wonder how hard it must be to find out in later years, and have to make such
drastic changes to ones lifestyle.  I often times think my early diagnosis
was a blessing in disguise.  Weird, but....I think kids like Kevin truly are
heroes for so valiantly taking on their disease.  I also find the parents of
such kids to be knights in shining armor as well - it takes a hero to make a
Dawn  :)