Re: [IP] diabetes is diabetes(NOT!!) - hypoglycaemia preceding diabetes

>What she may have is reactive hypoglycemia -- some people DO get hypo
>symptoms 4 - 5 hours after eating if they've eaten a meal too high in
>carbs and too low in fat/protein.
>In some people, this is a precursor of Type 2 diabetes -- the doc may
>have said this, and your sister heard it as a form of diabetes.
>Is there any Type 2 in your family? Is your sister overweight? She
>SHOULD be screened regularly for Type 2 if these risk factors apply.
Reactive hypoglycaemia may perhaps be a precursor of type 1 - at least it
was in my case - had patches of it, recurring in late afternoon every day
for a few days, then nothing for months, over a period of 3-4 years before
developing type 1.  Told the doctor about it, told her there was a family
history of both type 1 and type 2, and she just said that if I could on
occasion last out many hours with no food and no hypoglycaemia (which I
could and did) then for sure there was nothing to worry about - ha!  Did
anyone else have such an experience?  I sometimes think I should write to
that doctor and tell her - we have moved from the area before the diabetes,
so haven't seen her since.

Do You Yahoo!?