[IP] Lispro and infusion change

-----Original Message-----
From: Moira Edge <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: éåí ùìéùé, éðåàø 18, 2000 03:05
Subject: [IP] Lispro and infusion change

>I'm about to start  humalog insulin in a minimed pump and at present only
>have to change my infusion set every 6-7 days. I've been reading rather
>depressing accounts of recommendations that sets should be changed every 48
>hrs . I think I'd rather stay on regular if this is the case . What have
>others found ? I take 26 units of regular daily.Many thanks,Moira

I have used only humalog throughout the 14 months I have been pumping
(Disetronic pump, 20-24 units daily) and generally change the set only every
6-7 days.

On another question relating to infusion sets, when I started pumping I did
as I was told and used a separate piece of tape to stick a loop of the
infusion tubing, supposedly for additional safety preventing the set from
coming loose.  In practice the extra loop became a real problem, because in
spite of trying various types of tape, including supposedly non-allergenic
one (that was the worst!), the skin under the extra tape almost always
became irritable, and then eventually, because I could not resist rubbing
it, the irritation would spread to the area around the set, and as a result
I often landed up changing the set after 3-4 days.  Since I stopped sticking
an extra loop, I get no more irritation, and somewhat to my suprise, don't
find that the set gets inadvertantly pulled out any more frequently - only
twice in the 7 months during which I was using the extra tape, and twice in
the 7 months without.  Anyone else had similar experience?
Nanette