[IP] Pancreas transplants, attn: Ted

In a message dated 01/18/2000 11:38:28 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I keep hearing about a pancreas transplant, but don't know anything about!
 Could you tell me who, how, where.  I would love to hear more on the
 subject.  I already suffered stroke, but would like the chance to live right
 again.  Don't get me wrong I love my pump, didn't start pumping until after
 the stroke.  But just for the chance to live to see my little 8 year old
 daughter grow up I would do anything.
                                         Thanks Ted Humphreys >>

I certainly don't claim to be an expert, but share your interest of course
because of my battles with DM too.  I'm 39, married w/an 8-yo daughter and I
fully intend to stick around here too to see my future grandchildren. The
pump has improved my complications, (70% kidney function in 95 at pump start,
to 100% function now). Had first laser surgery this year, and the other
things are holding as well.

It's always been my understanding that Drs won't do a pancreas transplant
unless you are also undergoing a kidney transplant and they do both together.
 I think the reasoning is because the side effects of the anti-rejection
drugs are severe.

My neighbor, who has a newly diagnosed 5yo, gave me a book to read on the
subject, I haven't started it yet, but it address pancreas transplants and
tells the story of a woman who has undergone one.  Its called "Showdown with
Diabetes" and is written by Deb Butterfield.

Has anyone else read this yet?  Any thoughts?

Best wishes,