Re: [IP] depression and diabetes

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I have noticed that since my
daughter became diabetic 2 years ago, she has become more serious and prone
to getting stressed out.  I, the mom, am also more prone to mild depression;
partly due to an ongoing grieving process which has not finished itself yet.
My sister-in-law and brother in law have both been diabetic since they were
young kids, they are now in their mid 40s, and they are both definately the
most "serious" people in the family.  Actually, my sister in law is actually
depressed and needs to be on something.  When my daughter was diagnosed 2
years ago, my husband (who grew up with diabetes and knows it well from
watching his siblings deal with it) was most concerned about the disease
destroying our wonderful daughter's spirit; this disease is relentless
psychologically.  I have also read in an article (from the  ADA magazine -
Forecast) that there is definately a higher rate of depression among
diabetics.  I encourage you to find a drug that works for you.  My sister
tried Zoloft and it made her nervous and interupted her sleep.  My heart goes
out to anyone who is diabetic.  I am trying to learn to live with diabetes
myself; I still can't believe my kid got it, I worry constantly about her
quality of life and future, I am frustrated by unexplained high numbers, and
I fully realize that I must set an optomistic tone for her to be casual and
minimize it in her own mind.  Babe, it ain't easy!  Just saw the movie "The
Hurricane" which was a good example of using one's mind to overcome
adversity.  Hang in there.  I wish people would write more about how they
felt about living with diabetes.  Thanks for sharing.