[IP] Burned!

Since surviving the holidays and burned out on thinking about creative meal
planning, I surfed the web the other day for some inspiring
recipes.  Taking into consideration that my 52 year old husband had a major
heart attack a little over a year ago (he has two stents in his right
artery due to blockages), and that Anthony has diabetes, I thought I would
try and look for recipes that were of the low fat, low cholesterol kind.  I
thought it would be rather nice to start off Anthony's pumping experience
with some interesting tasting food.

I ran across a informative website...National Heart, Lung and Blood
Institute at http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/ that has quite a few recipes that I
thought my family would enjoy.  The only problem I found with them that in
their nutritional analysis they did not include the carboydrate count per
serving....everything else but!  I wrote them explaining that my son is
diabetic (with a father with heart disease) and that including carbo info
would be very useful.  Here was their reply:

>Because we are concerned with cardiovascular disease our diet information
>focuses mainly on lowering saturated fat, total fat, and cholesterol.
>Please contact the organization listed for information regarding diabetes
>related issues.

>National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney
>Building 31, Room 9A04
>31 Center Drive, MSC 2560
>Bethesda, MD 20892-2560
>(301) 496-3583
>(301) 654-3810
>fax: (301) 496-7422
>e-mail: email @ redacted
>web: www.niddk.nih.gov
>Additional dietary information can be obtained from:
>American Dietetic Association
>Suite 800
>216 West Jackson Boulevard
>Chicago, IL 60606-6995
>(312) 899-0040, (800) 877-1600
>web: www.eatright.org
>Consumer Nutrition Hotline
>(800) 366-1655
>Thank you.
>NHLBI Information Center
>(301)592-8563 fax
>Website: www.nhlbi.nih.gov <http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov>
>Email: email @ redacted
><mailto:email @ redacted>

I am missing something here?  Isn't heart/cardiovascular disease a major
complication of diabetes, or haven't we been really listening to our
doctors and diabetes educators?  And to think our tax money is supporting
this website!

burned in Torrance, CA!
mother of Anthony, 11, dx 9-22-95...pumping any day now!